Friday, August 12, 2011

The Conquering Hero Returns!

My Riley girl came home! There are not words to describe how much I missed her. Two months is WAY too long to have her gone - now I know. She really did have an amazing summer. Dusty & Heather live in Williamsburg, VA - an amazing, beautiful, historical town. She would go for a walk in the afternoon and see war re-enactments going on just about any afternoon. She was able to go to Washington DC, Kirtland, OH and went to girl's camp with the ward there. She made wonderful friends and memories she will always cherish. I am very glad she was able to have the experience but I am even more glad it is over and she is safe in my home and arms. I missed her beyond belief!!!

I wasn't sure how Cooper would react to her return. For the last couple of weeks when you ask him, "Where is Riley?" he would bring you a phone :) I was afraid he would be shy around her and make Riley feel bad. The exact opposite occured. She picked him up, he cuddled in tight and wouldn't let go. It was very sweet. When we picked her up at the airport; somehow I was stuck with grandma and Cooper. I was pushing the wheelchair as fast as I could go but it felt like it took forever. I could see her down the hallway - hugging her siblings. When she saw me, she started running but by the time we made it to each other; I was a blubbering mess. (Glad there are no existing pictures to document that moment) She felt taller, smelled the same, and I felt whole again as I hadn't in two months!

For Riley's birthday, we re-did her bedroom. Here are a couple of pictures to show a glimpse of the finished product. I think it turned out well, if I do say so myself! Everything on her walls and in the room we already had - except the new bedding and a lamp. Everything else I just re-painted, re-covered, and re-purposed. It was a wonderful way to spend the last couple of weeks before she returned. Kept the time moving along :) She professes to love it and I could not be happier with the results!!!!

Yes, that is the top of Cooper's head. He manages to wiggle his into almost everything :)


2 comments:

  1. I can't imagine having one of my kiddos gone for 2 months..wow. So glad Riley is home safe and sound. (Reading your emotion almost got me blubbering.)

    Thanks for giving me a glimpse of your work. Riley's bedroom looks awesome. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My big baby came home yesterday. Feels so good to have all my chicks in the nest. :) (My kids hate being called chicks.) I cannot think of my daughters going away for so long. Even when they go to camp I wander around wondering who to talk to! Guess I better work on getting some girl friends before they go off to college! I love Riley's room! Leslie will like it too when I show it to her. Good work!(See, one must share with a daughter...)

    ReplyDelete