Thursday, August 27, 2009

My Extreme Little Girl


I am feeling grateful today and need to document this event! As most people in the universe are aware (I am a victim of PTSD and required hours of talking to recover) - Andi was a very trying infant. She cried for the first six months of her life and when I say cry; I mean hour after hour of inconsolable crying. Scott and I had a haunted look in our eyes for several years and I would feel panicky if I heard a baby crying anywhere! To this day, my energetic four year old has the ability to raise the roof with her cry!!

Why then am I so grateful? This sweet little bundle of emotion is such a refreshing child to have around. She still deals in extremes - very happy or very not-happy but when she is happy; oh the happiness!! I give her breakfast and she exclaims, "Oh mommy, thank-you, I love you so much!" I help her tie her shoe and I am rewarded with the biggest hug and kiss imaginable!! She lives in such a state of gratefulness and joy - it is contagious!

When Riley was little, we tried lessons of many varieties. I now know that Riley really really really hates dance lessons, she does not enjoy soccer, gymnastics, karate, or piano. Riley LOVES swimming but HATES swimming lessons. I eventually gave up and luckily she found (all on her own) that she loves playing the bassoon, running, and basketball. I have since given up on "lessons" in general as a mother. My little ones have taken swimming lessons but I regard this as a safety issue for a family that owns a boat! My little Craig is the biggest home body you have ever seen. That kid doesn't want to go anywhere; running errands with him in tow is torture for us all.

And then came Andi....... She may have been a trying infant but she is a remarkably enjoyable child. She wants to run every errand there is. "Want to go to the store, Andi?" "Yippee!!" as she runs to get her shoes. She takes swimming lessons on like it is a matter of national security!! She is begging for dance lessons and gymnastics!! Last night she climbed on the couch next to me, handed me a book and said, "Teach me how to read." She is hungry for life in a way I have never seen. She wants to learn everything, do everything, see everything and she wrinkles up that little nose and smiles through it all. Andi, thank you for living life with such joy, reminding me to laugh, and for living life on your own terms - even when those terms differ from my own agenda!! I love you so much little girl!

1 comment:

  1. Precious. Where much is required, much is compensated.

    ReplyDelete